Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Can a male-driven government handle a female president?

Men have dominated politics since its creation.


It is hard to ignore the current male influence in American politics. With the primary election underway, it is possible that a female Democrat could take the crown as our next president. Are we as a society ready for this kind of change?

“Well I feel that we are ready for a female president,” said Philadelphia native Peter Serratore.


“Hilary is fully equipped to be our president. She’s very intelligent, clear, expressive, and confronts the right issues in our world today,” stated the rising college junior. As much as he would like to see a female running the white house, this student is not so sure that America feels the same way. “Though I would love to have her be elected, I feel there may not be a female president for some odd years.”

Ursinus graduate Duncan Ramsey agreed that America may not be ready for such a drastic political change. “In a whole, no there would not be enough interest for a female president,” argued the graduate. But the question remains, just when will America be ready for such a change?

“I don’t think U.S. citizens are ready for a female president. I’m not sure if we ever will be ready for such a change even though women are becoming more present in politics. But the U.S. will never be ready for such an adjustment until the situation is thrust upon them,” argued college sophomore Rachel Azar.

Some would argue that America is all for change and inclusiveness, so of course we would be okay with a female president…but this would be living in a fairytale world. Everyone is not supportive of change in our country. This in part has stifled our political growth as a country. However, Duncan Ramsey argued, “I think the real question is who are we more ready for, a female president or a black president?” He added that if a female or an African-American won the election it would definitely force America to change.

“Not right now,” said Ursinus senior Tara Pearson. “We may be ready, but I’m not sure we have the right female for the job as of now.”


However, other students feel that having any woman as president is a step in the right direction. An anonymous junior argued that “Women know how to express themselves while thinking about the effect and outcome of things. We do things on instinct, that gut feeling and if you get a real woman who knows how to make decisions, things would work out just fine,” she laughed.

“But just how fine would things work out?” asked sophomore Michael Chovanes. He shared a similar belief to sophomore Ashley McComeskey who said, “Basically women aren’t viewed as strongly as men are.” She continued, “We might not be taken seriously. If a female cries on camera, that is a huge sign of weakness in my opinion. I don’t think the U.S. can afford to look weak right now,” said McComeskey.

No comments: